A lawyer for Duke Webb said there was indication that the Green Beret, accused of killing three people at a Rockford, Ill., bowling alley, had P. T. S. D. The Army Green Beret charged with opening fire with two pistols at a bowling alley and restaurant in Rockford, Ill., over the weekend, killing three people and wounding three others, was on leave and visiting family members, the county prosecutor said on Monday. He declined to comment on a possible motive. The Green Beret, Sgt. First Class Duke Webb, assigned to the Army’s 7th Special Forces Group based in Florida, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted first-degree murder, J. Hanley, the Winnebago County state’s attorney, said at a news conference on Monday. At an initial hearing earlier in the day, Sergeant Webb, 37, pleaded not guilty and was denied release on bond, said his lawyer, Elizabeth Bucko. Ms. Bucko said there was some indication that Sergeant Webb had post-traumatic stress disorder or a brain injury, but she could not confirm that until after he had been evaluated by a doctor. Sergeant Webb deployed to Afghanistan four times, the Army said Monday: from Aug. 2009 to Dec. 2009, Oct. 2013 to April 2014, Oct. 2014 to April 2015, and Jan. 2020 to July 2020. An Army spokesman confirmed that he took personal leave for the holidays starting Dec. 21 and planned to end his leave on Jan. 1. Mr. Hanley described a frantic scene at the bowling alley, called Don Carter Lanes, as a gunman firing with two pistols shot randomly at patrons shortly before 7 p.m. on Saturday. The bowling alley portion of the establishment was closed because of coronavirus restrictions, but an upstairs restaurant, ventilated by garage-door-style openings, was open for business, with about 20 people eating and drinking, the police said. Mr. Hanley said the gunman first shot at a table where teenagers sat, wounding two of them, then continued to fire as he moved upstairs. By the time police officers responded, he had discarded his weapons, Mr. Hanley said. The prosecutor said Sergeant Webb admitted to the shooting and told officers who took him into custody where he had put his guns — a .40-caliber Glock and .380-caliber Glock. Mr. Hanley said they were recovered from behind Sergeant Webb’s bag, but that neither was military-issued. Three men were killed. They were identified by the Winnebago County Coroner’s Office on Monday as Thomas Furseth, 65, of Machesney Park, Ill.; and Jerome Woodford, 69, and Dennis Steinhoff, 73, both from Rockford, a city of nearly 150,000 people about 90 miles northwest of Chicago. Two victims remained in critical condition, Mr. Hanley said: a 14-year-old boy who was shot in the face and a 65-year-old man who had multiple gunshot wounds. A 16-year-old girl who was shot in the shoulder was treated at a hospital and later released.“We believe this is a completely random act,” Dan O’Shea, the Rockford police chief, said at a news conference on Sunday.
All data is taken from the source:
#said #newspak #newsnews #newsenglish #newsviews #upnews #